Saturday, April 7, 2007

seeking a country

Hello Ladies!!

How are you all doing?? I hope school is treating you well + you haven't been too bogged down by work and stuff - the end is near, which is... good and bad; good b/c it means more relaxing, bad because we miss out on all the friends and the crazy, but fun bits of the school routine!

Jen - How did the elections go? I hope work isn't killing you!
Kat - How is all the crazy practicing going? Any changes with your friends?
Michelle - I hope you're not crazy bogged down with work!! What are you planning for summer?
Valerie - How are you feeling finishing 1st year? Did you work out your housing plans?
Noelle - Are you excited to be finishing? What are you plans?

Everyone - How has your walk with God been? Anything we can pray for you?

Something I wanted to share with you all -
I was reading Hebrews 11 the other day - and I came upon this verse:

"13All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. 14For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own. 15And indeed if they had been thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return. 16But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them." - Hebrews 11:13-16 (NASB)

And my thoughts on this verse are twofold:

First, although this currently applies most for those in the situation of University graduation - it can also apply to anyone who needs to leave a group of friends, or place etc (maybe for you ladies as you might not see the same people over the summer); for me here @ Western, there has been seed sowing, and fellowship, and encouraging and building up of the body. However, as I (and other grads) leave and graduate, the things that we've started or had a hand in - we really won't see them come into fruition in our "lifetimes" at University, but we see them from a distance, knowing that God will do great things and will move powerfully in years to come. This works for any situation really - that sometimes we put in works and efforts, but we must leave the full fruition to someone else, trusting that God will continue to work.

Second, involving desiring a country, in a way this relates to the first in that, if God sends us away, we need to trust in His sending, because we are seeking to do His will, and to obtain a 'heavenly country'. Especially for those graduating, but for anyone who needs to leave somewhere that is good - it's tough. I've done most of my spiritual growing at Western, I love the fellowship there and all the people, and I'm going to miss it greatly. I suppose, that if I really wanted to stay @ Western because I'm clinging onto what I think is good - I could find a way to come back; but God tells us that He has better in store.

Think about Abraham - God sent him out to find the promise land, and had Abraham said that where he had come from was so good that he wanted to stay there, he would have missed out on the blessings of the LORD; and although he never got to see his descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky - his bit of faith was needed to start the ball rolling.

So this is just a little bit to take heart over; God has the best in store for us, may we trust and be willing to go where He sends us. And that for you all - even though in the summer you may not see the same people, you can still definitely keep in touch - and there is always the next year to prep, pray, and be excited for ^_^

" Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that." " - James 4:14-15 (NASB)

hehe my family came by yesterday.. moved out some stuff.. haha my empty spaces look so crazy. I won't be at service this weekend - needed to stay in London b/c I have a huge essay due on Monday, but I look forward to seeing you all soon!! Let's finish strong. God bless y'all.

No comments: